09 September 2006

Perfect Days

Yesterday, and it looks like today, are my perfect kind of days. (Well, I have other kinds of perfect days, but this is in the top 3.) Days like this make me happy and energetic. They herald the coming of fall (and they're kind of neat in the spring, too). Grey days. Cloudy, where you think it might rain, but no. The wind gives a little thrill as it passes through you. The temperature is somewhere in the 40s - 60s. Magic days.

I was telling my friend this as we went for a walk last night. She thought I might be a little crazy, but I could tell her dog agreed with me. And it's not as though I don't love sunny days, too. I wouldn't want every day to be like today. But these grey, chill, windy days speak of the change in the seasons. Fall is my favorite, and I'm excited it's coming. I love the colors of the leaves, the slowing down of life as it prepares to hunker down for winter.

The wind makes these days for me. I love the wind. As a little girl, I wanted my hair long so it could blow in the wind. I imagine it was a wind like this that brought Mary Poppins, and so I associate it with transition and magic. This wind carries change and it invigorates me. I look for fairies and pixies and sorceresses on days like this.

Days like this in early autumn mean long sleeve tees, jeans, sweatshirts and sweaters, hand warmers, socks (hand knit, of course) and clogs. They mean warm drinks of hot coco (or drinking chocolate), chai tea, hot tea in general, Pumpkin Spice Lattes from Starbucks, hot apple cider (Caribou Coffee makes a good one), and so many others.

Today, I've put on socks for the first time this season. I knit them myself (Fleece Artist Merino in Hercules from Simply Sock Yarn Company), and I'm wearing my clogs. (I anticipate the times I can wear my clogs. I grow 3 inches in those things!) I've got my tea: Adagio Plum. Life is good!

1 comment:

Eileen Richter said...

Wow! It's fun to see the sensations of oncoming fall put into words.